Thursday, February 17, 2011

futbol

today i played soccer for one hour with a bunch of 12 year old boys. it was, without a doubt, the most exercise i have gotten in over six months. luckily my hard work and determination, as well as my eventually willingness to bodyslam anyone shorter than me into the ground, awarded me much respect amongst my midget crowd. i scored four gols. my hand hurt from all the high fives i recieved. although, it should be mentioned, the goalposts were sideways desks, the playing field was half of a gym, and the ball was a soft green nerf. HOWEVER, i was so skilled, i was nominated their power forward or whatever. that "agressive player that plows everyone else aside to force the nerfball beneath the desk". ya know.

interestingly, this volunteer job requires me to ride a bike for thirty minutes, then a bus for another twenty. i rent my bicycle from a convenient red kiosk, one of many located throughout the city. wide green paths are marked specifically for bicycles, and when i'm a normal pedestrian, i frequently get yelled at for straying into this bicycle lane. quite a few times i've been so spaced out that i've actually met a screaming bicyclist face to face, handlebar to hands. however as a bicyclist myself, i've become quite adept at veering my bike away from stupid idiot walkers, and staying within my nice green road.

No comments:

Post a Comment