Saturday, March 5, 2011

culture shock

There are no pickup trucks here, none.
Every plaza has a small herd of dogs, possibly the guardians of the plaza, roaming free from leashes.
There is a plaza every five minutes whatever direction you walk.
There will always be a minimum of five old men in the vicinity, no matter where you are (cafe, street, plaza)
Wearing slippers in the house is the only accepted pastimes. i once went barefoot, and i still get mocked by my host mother.
The facade of a building is either charmingly historic or bluntly architectural.
No one speaks my language, I go to a grocery store, a restaurant, a cafe, a store, I must speak in Spanish to be understood.
Everyone wears scarfs and boots, no exceptions.
Light switches are different, a large square pad that tilts one way or another, I have not seen a switch I recognize.
I can see a Cathedral from my bedroom window.
I walk to and and from class everyday, it takes me fifteen minutes, I recognize landmarks as plazas and certain twists of the road.
Street performers can be scary, especially the ones in flowerpots.
You won't know exactly where you are, if you get lost, until you find a map. Orientation is difficult.
There is no "dryer" after the washing machine. Clothes go on a clothesline outside.
Drinks come in tiny little bottles or cups. Coca Cola is especially adorable, a miniature glass bottle. Coffee is the most upsetting. I pay 2 euros for a thimblefull? And starbucks just released Vienta or whatever, their newest huge size.
No carpets, I haven't seen a single carpet.
The table where I eat all my meals has a heater underneath it, and a tablecloth over it, so when you eat lunch or dinner, you pull up the tablecloth like a blanket and drape it over your laps and you legs and feet under the table get really warm from the heater.
Spanish talk shows are full of mean and loud and opinionated people.
Spanish soap operas are hilarious and full of very attractive and emotional people.
The "Don't Walk" signal is more of a suggestion than a command.

And one particular difference, that I absolutely adore, the amazingly delicious pastries. One is flaky, sugary, honeyed, shaped like a heart and covered in chocolate, another is long and flaky, stuffed with chocolate, covered in sprinkles and so soft and delicious. And you haven't lived until you've had legit hot chocolate and churros. Melt in your mouth, thick soupy chocolate and doughy yet crunchy and hot churros.

More later,
Love always,
Jennings

2 comments:

  1. Bard and I laughed out loud at this blog...how funny and descriptive....Inquiring minds want to know "Is Jennings doing her own laundry?"
    Be safe, Love, Dad and Bard man
    (p.s. is it okay to post a comment? inquiring minds want to know this too?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennings!
    Hope this comment finds you well and happy!
    I have enjoyed reading your blog, you have a way of painting with words,which is decriptive.
    Natalie will be studing abroad in Florence Italy for 5.5 weeks this summer! Maybe you can offer some tips or ideas for packing or how to dress?
    Im very excited for both of you to have such a wonderful adventure!
    Love ya, Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete